Edison Township (usually known as Edison) is a township in Middlesex County, New Jersey. What is now Edison Township was originally incorporated as Raritan Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 17, 1870, from portions of both Piscataway Township and Woodbridge Township. Portions of the township were taken to form Metuchenon March 20, 1900, and Highland Park on March 15, 1905. The name was officially changed to Edison Township on November 10, 1954, in honor of inventor Thomas Edison, who had his main laboratory in the Menlo Park section of the township. As of the 2010 United States Census.
Edison had a total population of 99,967, making it the fifth largest municipality in New Jersey.
In the 2006 survey of America’s Safest Cities, the township was ranked 23rd, out of 371 cities included nationwide, in the 13th annual Morgan Quitno survey.In 2009, Edison was ranked as one of “America’s 10 Best Places to Grow Up” by U.S. News and World Report. The rankings focused on low crime, strong schools, green spaces, and abundance of recreational activities.