Lake Tekapo is the second-largest of three roughly parallel lakes running north–south along the northern edge of the Mackenzie Basin in the South Island of New Zealand (the others areLake Pukaki and Lake Ohau). It covers an area of 83 square kilometres (32 sq mi), and is at an altitude of 700 metres (2,300 ft) above sea level.
The lake is fed at its northern end by the braided Godley River, which has its source in theSouthern Alps to the north. The lake is a popular tourist destination, and several resort hotels are located at the township of Lake Tekapo at the lake’s southern end. The Lake Tekapo Regional Park, administered by Environment Canterbury, is located on the southern shore of the lake.
.The church is arguably one of the most photographed in New Zealand, and features an altar window that frames stunning views of the lake and mountains.
The lake’s original outflow was at its southern end, into the Tekapo River. In 1938 construction commenced on a power station, originally due to be finished in 1943 but halted by the war in 1942. At the same time, control gates were constructed to regulate outflows to the Waitaki Dam downstream. Work restarted in 1944, and the power station now known as “Tekapo A” came online in 1951.
Since 1 June 2011, Tekapo A and B stations are owned by Genesis Energy.
Church of the Good Shepherd situated on the shores of Lake Tekapo is the Church of the Good Shepherd, which, in 1935, was the first church built in the Mackenzie Basin. The church at Burkes Pass, St Patrick’s built in 1872 was the first church built by pioneers as a joint community effort, by Anglicans Presbyterian and Catholic settlers.
Close to the Church of the Good Shepherd is one of New Zealand’s best known public monuments, a bronze statue of a New Zealand Collie sheepdog.
- Photo Essay: 15 Spectacular New Zealand Landscapes (tripbase.com)
- Beautiful – Lake Tekapo, New Zealand (travelpod.com)
- Expedition to a New Glacial Lake (chimalaya.org)
- Rope Swings at Wagner Lake (bigbasslakemi.wordpress.com)